A funky twist on our traditional Irish Soda bread.
Mushroom & Potato Soup
Mushroom & Potato Soup
- 10 g dried mushrooms rehydrated 220 ml boiling water
- 50 ml olive oil
- 100 g butter
- 40 g garlic finely chopped (3-4 cloves)
- 250 g onion finely diced ( 1 med)
- 150 g celery finely chopped (2 sticks)
- 10 g thyme leaves finely chopped (1 heaped tbsp)
- 400 g potatoes diced small (2 x lrg)
- 800 g mushrooms finely sliced (A mix of field & brown)
- 1 litre vegetable stock 2 stock cubes
- 250 ml cream *Opt
- 20 g parsley finely chopped
- Place dried mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Drain and finely chop mushrooms, then set aside along with reserved soaking liquid.
- Melt ¼ of butter and all of olive oil in saucepan. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, then add onion, celery and thyme and gently cook for 10 -15 minutes. Add diced potato and dried mushrooms and cook until soft (10 - 15 minutes).
- Whist onion mixture is cooking, prepare and cook mushrooms: In a separate pan melt 1/3 of remaining butter, add sliced mushrooms in batches and quickly fry off until lightly coloured. Season as you go along. Transfer mushrooms plus any liquid from them to a bowl. Repeat the process until all the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add cooked mushroom to onion mixture along with hot vegetable stock; bring to a gentle simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes then remove from heat. Pour half the soup into a blender (or use blender stick), whiz into a purée then pour it back into the pan and return to a simmer. Add cream if using, chopped parsley and season carefully to taste.
- Serve soup in warmed bowls, along with some charred sourdough or your favourite brown bread.
- This soup freezes really well, so make ahead of time.
- Feel free to use any kind of mushrooms you like, be it the simple button mushrooms, or shiitake, portobello, oyster or a mixture of a few. The wilder or rustic the mushroom, the more flavour you will get from your soup.
- Dairy Free: Omit butter (use extra oil) and omit cream.
- Vegan friendly: Omit butter (use extra oil) and omit cream.
- Low carb: Omit potatoes, replace with extra mushrooms or any of the following; finely chopped courgette, cauliflower or aubergine.
If you are looking for a delicious starter or canapé or just something to nibble on – this little number is sure to impress. Crunchy
Cooking pumpkin this way gives the pumpkin a delightful crunchiness. Skin as in this recipe can be left on or you can remove it. Cut