Corn on the cob, aka sweetcorn, is a type of maize with a high sugar content and antioxidant health benefits. The tightly packed golden yellow
Lunchbox Energy Bars
Lunchbox Energy Bars
- 100 g Medjool dates, pitted weight (chopped small)
- 100 g coconut oil or butter
- 60 g Manuka Honey (3tbsp)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g Jumbo oats
- 100 g mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, linseed)
- 50 g buckwheat flakes
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 40 g roasted hazelnuts, chopped small (skins removed)
- 30 g ground almonds
- 1.25 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 140 C. Lightly grease a small 18×30 cm brownie tray and neatly line with baking parchment.
- Cover and soak the Medjool dates in hot water for 5-10 minutes till soft, then drain.
- In a large bowl, mix jumbo oats, mixed seeds, buckwheat flakes, desiccated coconut, roasted hazelnuts, ground almonds, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small saucepan heat the coconut oil, Manuka honey, vanilla extract and Medjool dates until oil has melted and ingredients have blended. Pour this over the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Spoon the mixture into the lined brownie tin and press it down firmly and evenly with a palate knife or back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned on top. It will still be quite soft but firms up as it cools.
- Remove from tin by flipping over onto a chopping board. Cut into small squares with a sharp knife. Store in a sealed airtight container in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Divine-tasting roasted hazelnuts can be purchased at artisan suppliers’ – www.olivierisfineitalianfoods.com . You can also prepare and roast them yourself, using a large baking tray; bake a single layer of nuts at 180 C for 10-12 minutes. When the skins begin to split and the kernels turn golden, tip them into a clean tea towel and quickly rub the skins off.
- Combining oats and buckwheat in this recipe gives the energy bars a more interesting texture – both chewy and crumbly – while ensuring they hold together. But it’s fine with just oats!
- Instead of whole hazelnuts use almonds or pecans.
- Gluten Free: Make sure to use GF oats or a combination of GF grains
- Vegan: Instead of Manuka honey use maple syrup