5 Minute Fish Pate
5 Minute Fish Pate
- 140 g canned fish drained (I used mackerel in olive oil)
- 140 g Philadelphia cheese full fat
- ½ shallot finely chopped (small onion or spring onion equally good) *opt
- ¼-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard *opt
- Pinch nori flakes
- Pinch black pepper *opt
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Mash fish to paste in a small bowl. Mix in cream cheese, shallot, mustard if using, nori flakes and a smidgen of black pepper.
- Using a spatula, mix gently until fish fully incorporated.
- Store in the sealed container in the fridge for 1 week.
- Have your cake and eat it: Spread pate on oat cakes or rice cakes. Top with cucumber, tomato or chopped red peppers if desired.
- Use as a Dip. Spoon 2-4 tbsp pate into a small dish or jar. Serve with some crudities (raw veggies). Make sure to cut them into small bite sizes. Any of the following are good.: carrots, baby sweetcorn, mangetout, sugar snap peas, broccoli florets, cauliflowers florets. Additional goodies include pita crisps (see recipe handout), wholemeal toast soldiers, mini oatcakes and mini rice cakes.
- Wholemeal Pita Pockets Serve pate as a filling in wholemeal pita pockets with some chopped lettuce, grated carrot and sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Wrap it up: Serve pate as a filling in tortilla wrap with sliced avocado, lettuce, sliced celery, chopped apple, chopped walnuts.
- Meltingly Good Toasted Bagels: Spread pate over toasted wholemeal bagels. Top with sliced tomato and your favourite cheese (grated). Place under the grill and allow to melt. Serve with a green salad.
- Pate on Brown Bread: Serve pate on a slice of wholemeal bread see recipe handout or good quality shop bought bread for example ‘McCambridges’ wholemeal bread or ‘McCambridges’ GF bread. Top with tomato, lettuce, cucumber if desired.
- Cucumber Boats: Wash a cucumber and pat dry, peel if desired then slice in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller, scoop out the seeds so the cucumber resembles the inside of a boat or canoe. Cut into 3 cm lengths. Spoon approximately 1 tbsp of the fish pate mixture onto each piece of hollowed-out cucumber. Garnish with fresh dill or fennel.
- Lettuce Spring Rolls: Create little spring rolls using butter head lettuce. Spoon 1-2 tbsp fish pate the centre of each leaf of lettuce, add grated carrot, finely chopped cucumber (seeds removed), some finely diced chilli, spring onion and beansprouts. Wrap up in a cigar shape folding and tucking in the sides to stop any filling escaping.
- Sushi: Mix 1-2 tbsp fish pate into some cooked sushi rice, add a sprinkling of tamari. Spoon the filling over nori sheets and roll as you would normal sushi. Cut into portions and enjoy!
Avocado Toast with Labneh & Za’atar
Developed for Natural Good Health Magazine
Honeycomb Kasha Crunchie Bites
Developed for Natural Life Magazine and Manuka Honey