Summer Squash, Petit Pois Pasta Salad with Feta Crumble
Pasta is a rarity in our house. Most pastas are highly refined and full of carbs, but every now and then I do make a pasta dish. I love it in this salad as it sings summer to me! The flavours are both light and fresh and the textures complement each other nicely.
Course Main Course
Cuisine International, Italian, Mediterranean
- 80 g pasta of choice
- 300 g summer squash baby courgettes and Patti pan varieties
- 50 g petit pois fresh garden peas or frozen is good
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small bunch spring onions finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel or dill fonts finely chopped
- 20 g pea shoots or rocket or baby spinach
- 150 g feta crumbled
Cook pasta as per instruction on packet. During the last 3 minutes add the petit pois and gently simmer. Refresh in cold water, drain and add a drizzle of olive oil to prevent pasta sticking.
While pasta is cooking shave courgette and squash using a vegetable peeler to create wafer thin strips. Season lightly, and drizzle with a little olive oil, add to pasta bowl and gently mix. Add lemon zest, rest of olive oil, spring onions, fennel or dill if using, pea shoots and seasoning. Gently toss and taste.
Serve on it’s own or part of a buffet
- My preference is to use a small pasta in this dish. I was originally going to use orzo, but I was all out. I substituted it with macaroni but orecchiette, rotini, farfalle, ditalini or a small penne shape will equally work.
- Can be served as a hot pasta dish or at room temperature as a salad
- If serving hot do not cool the pasta
- As always, pasta tastes more magnifico with a good shaving of Parmesan Opt*