Wild Garlic Soda Bread
As it is wild garlic season and there’s a big brown bag of these beautiful scented leaves in my fridge I decided to funk up an old classic soda bread recipe – so please enjoy this mouth-watering buttery garlic bread!
Course Baking, Breakfast
Cuisine International, Irish
- 200 g Rye flour I used Dunany 100% stoneground Rye flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- 250 g plain white spelt flour
- 100 g jumbo oats
- 10 g Himalayan salt 1 rounded tsp
- 10 g bread soda sieved into flour (1 rounded tsp)
- 400 ml buttermilk
- 110 g natural full fat yoghurt
- 80 g wild garlic butter melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Preheat your oven to 200C. Sieve all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Any extra bits in the sieve tip into the bowl.
Mix the buttermilk and melted wild garlic butter together in a jug. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in most of the wet mixture at once. Using a circular motion with one hand, mix in the flour from the sides of the bowl, adding more milk if necessary. Add a little extra flour if you find the dough too wet and sticky. The dough should be softish – not too wet and not too dry.
Dust your counter lightly with flour and tip the dough out. Wash and dry your hands, then gently shape the dough into a single ball, pat it down slightly then transfer to a floured tray.
Cut a deep cross into the top of the dough and lightly dust with flour. Transfer to oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until cooked. If in doubt, tap the bottom of the bread: if it is cooked it will sound hollow.
Transfer loaf to a wire rack, wrap with a damp cloth and leave to cool.
Other bread combinations (Instead of wild garlic):
- For more traditional soda bread omit the wild garlic and replace with 60g mixed seeds such as sunflower, sesame and pumpkin.
- Add combinations of dried fruits: figs, sultanas, currents, diced dates, or sour cherries (50g)
- 2 tablespoon rosemary + 60g dried cranberries (lovely combination at Christmas)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary + a few baby spinach leaves + ½ roasted red pepper finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon onion marmalade + 30 grams good quality cheddar cheese
- 2 cooked rashers, finely diced + 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme + 30g good quality cheddar cheese.