Sports Nutrition Course for Weight Control & Performance
Sports Nutrition Course for Weight Control & Performance
This exciting course at IINH is packed with practical information, instruction and insights. It is designed for personal trainers, coaches and other health & fitness professionals as well as enthusiasts keen to explore personalised nutrition approaches for themselves and/or their clients.
Moving beyond the era of simply counting calories and macros, functional sports nutrition addresses dysfunctions, deficiencies and imbalances mainly through individually tailored adjustments to food and lifestyle. The aim is to achieve optimal health, function, body weight & composition, and performance using a personalised approach that supports the individual’s unique mix of goals, health and performance needs, circumstances and preferences.
As we see ‘one-size-fits-all’ rapidly giving way to more effective bespoke approaches in weight control and sports performance, fitness enthusiasts and professionals are keen to update and enhance their understanding and practical skills.
What is Sports Nutrition for Weight Control & Performance?
The programme provides the understanding and practical skills training needed to inform and coach active individuals to adopt wholefoods-based eating plans tailored for their unique individual needs and goals. Participants will gain understanding and practical training in vital aspects of healthy eating and lifestyle to optimise their own and others’ health.
Next Course: TBC
Estimated 3-6 hours of study per week.
- 4 Sets of prerecorded lecture videos with accompanying notes and handouts.
- 3 Online live sessions including case study discussion, exercise demos and metabolic testing.
- Downloadable course notes
IINH Certificate of Completion.
- Prerecorded online lectures
- Live sessions are practical: Case studies, exercise demos, Metabolic Testing, VO2 max Testing
- Presentation and discussion of a range of health-, fitness- and weight monitoring tools and techniques, as well as coaching and meal tracking tools useful in practice
Who is this course for?
- Sports & Fitness Enthusiasts
- Personal Trainers
- Sports Coaches
- Anyone into effective weight/fat loss & optimal health
What does this course enable you to do?
This course is ideal for those who want the best results from their training, in terms of weight/fat loss, performance and overall wellness. The cutting-edge information and practical skills training provided will enable anyone into sports and fitness to help themselves or their clients optimise the power of wholesome food and sensible hydration to achieve their weight/fat or performance goals and strengthen their health.
For personal trainers and coaches, completing this sports nutrition course will enable you to devise safe, effective and do-able personalised nutrition plans. Combining bespoke training for weight-loss/performance with a personalised nutrition and lifestyle plan vastly improves client outcomes and satisfaction. You will learn to ask clients the right questions, identify and address their unique key issues, create workable eating and lifestyle plans, and then guide and motivate them to success over the following weeks and months.
Each week will deliver key elements of nutrition and lifestyle coaching concepts in an easy to understand format. The main purpose of this course is to equip participants with sufficient knowledge, skills and practical tools to help themselves and their clients adopt safe, appropriate and effective personalised nutrition programmes to support successful weight/fat loss and sports performance – and make them stick!
- Week 1. What is Food – Exploring macro and micronutrients
- Week 2. Digestion; Case study 1
- Week 3. Exercise demonstration & explanations; Introduction to Metabolism & Fitness; Case Study discussion 1
- Week 4. Labelling & Supplements; Energy Metabolism & Fitness
- Week 5. Case Study 2; Bonus Material: Farm to Fork; Nutrition Myths
- Week 6. Case study discussion 2; Delving into Metabolism: Energy systems, Metabolic pathways; RMR Metabolic Testing; VO2 max Testing; Discussion of test results; Connecting Nutrition & Fitness: Food is Fuel; Lifestyle Habits – Sleep, Stress & Recovery.
- Week 7: Putting Knowledge into Practice; Lifestyle Habits: Sleep, Stress and Recovery Discussion
- Week 8: Case study 3; Recipes
- Bonus: Case study 4
Tutors and Guest Speakers:
Co-owner CrossFit Solas, Certified Nutritional Therapist, Coach and Speaker. Lyda specialises in paleo nutrition, blood sugar regulation, digestive health and energy balance and works with fitness enthusiasts and athletes on diet analysis, planning, implementing and monitoring specific nutrition programmes and supplement protocols tailored to their sport and individual needs. Current and past clients include triathletes, ironmen, indoor football players, rowers and CrossFit competitors.
Ian has been coaching and competitively training in CrossFit for 11+ years. Having worked in four different CrossFit gyms in Ireland and Canada, he now heads up CrossFit Solas in Greystones. As a student of neuromuscular physical therapy, Ian’s interests have always centred around movement and functional fitness. Today, he works with clients of all ages and fitness as well as with larger corporate programs focused on health and wellbeing.
An experienced gym instructor, personal trainer, qualified Nutrition & Health Coach and Nutritional Therapist. Sean’s company Health Matters specialises in fitness testing, performance enhancement and other health-related programmes. He will demonstrate metabolic Testing and VO2 Testing (Practical Day) in class, with attendees as volunteers. Seán also lectures on ITEC and ASCM fitness courses, delivers a Health and Fitness module with Solas and has developed a Schools Health Education and Awareness Programme, currently in operation in primary schools across Dublin. Seán has also devised and delivers a section of the Endurance module with Dr. Liam Hennessy in Setanta College.